- Start up year 2013, The target year for retreat one, was 2017 now it is 2022
- Location: is North Wales
- Target practioners is international - cross platform - multi - discipline,
- Curaters & project managers are
- Phillip Morton - Liverpool:UK -
- To be confirmed: Improvisers North Wales
- Project management style duplicates Improvisers North wales constitution.
- With thanks for the work and support at the start phase in 2013 by Emma Louis. North wales
- Start up funding : Arts Council Wales, thank you!
To register an interest in this project,
join the conversation
This article was unpublished in 2018. Progress came to a stand still, static. Then in 2021 as an unexpected outcome and consequence of COVID-19 and the software ZOOM I speculate there has been an increase in connectivity, networking, communication and social discourse between improvisers. This new connectivity could form the constituency of interest that makes the relaunch of `retreats for improvisers` a viable and realistic proposal..
Phil Morton commends this to the house of the commons.
Not all activities carried out by individuals or groups in the genre or practice of `free improvisation` are free ensemble improvisations,
Examples of interference with the practice of free improvisation are.
- graphic scores,
- text pieces,
- writen text instructions.
P Morton has come to adopt a term used by others: referential, in an attempt to categorise this list of methods that tresspass into the world of free improv. Referential simply means the improviser is required to refer to an external referent, that maybe a document or idea that influences what the person does within the parameters of music.
Here is a proposed list of what may happen at a Retreat.
- Unmetered free ensemble improvisation - the duration, and therefore the end of the piece is not known when the piece begins
- Metered free ensemble improvisation - the duration, and therefore the end of the piece is known when the piece begins
- System 50:50
- gathering concept
- Noise upstairs concept.
Related: awaiting further citation
- Free ensemble improvisation is not created it creates itself, it is self generating, the act of listening enables this to happen. (Summary of T Nunn)
Full list to follow
- Two performance , rehearsal spaces.
- Either on site or within 30 minutes drive of the location
- The accomodation is likely to be a mixture of
- Private rooms hosted by the venue
- Private rooms at an external location.
- Electricity & heating.
- Food : notes to follow,
The retreat concept: is to last for more than one day.
More citation is required.
Notes are to follow.